Virtual Mentor. April 2004, Volume 6, Number 4.
Suggested Reading and Resources
Resources on Medicine and the Social Contract
- American Academy of Family Physicians. Volunteering and caring for the uninsured. Available at: http://www.aafp.org/x14230.xml. Accessed February 1, 2004.
- American College of Physicians. Volunteerism subcommittee. Volunteering as a physician: opportunities and resources. Accessed February 1, 2004.
- American Medical Association. AMA Medical Student Section. Community service committee page. Accessed February 1, 2004.
- Opinion 6.10 Services Provided by Multiple Physicians. Code of Medical Ethics 2008-2009 Edition. Chicago, IL: American Medical Association; 2008:184.
- American Medical Association. Council on Ethical and Judicial Affairs. Ethical issues in managed care. JAMA. 1995;273:330-335.
- Baker RB. The American medical ethics revolution. In Baker RB, Caplan AL, Emanuel L, Latham SL, eds. The American Medical Ethics Revolution: How the AMA Code of Ethics Has Transformed Physicians' Relationships to Patients, Professionals, and Society. Baltimore: The Johns Hopkins University Press; 1999:17-51.
- Barondess JA. Medicine and professionalism. Arch Intern Med. 2003;163:145-149.
- Bender W, Torres M, Pittner J, Keller K. Nocturnal home hemodialysis (NHHD) results in dietary, medication, and laboratory changes. Perit Dial Int. 2000;20:(1) S101.
- Berkman L, Kawachi I, eds. Social Epidemiology. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press, 2000.
- Bloche MG. Clinical loyalties and the social purposes of medicine. JAMA. 1999; 281:268-274.
- Boccasile v Cajun Music Limited, 694 A2d 686 (S Ct R.I., 1997).
- Brody H, Bonham VL Jr. Gag rules and trade secrets in managed care contracts: ethical and legal concerns. Arch Intern Med. 1997;157:2037-43.
- Brown SM. Good Samaritan law: protections and limits; legally speaking. RN. 1999;62:65.
- Chan CT, Floras JS, Miller JA, Pierratos A. Improvement in left ventricular systolic function with longterm nocturnal hemodialysis. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2001;12:262A.
- Chan CT, Floras JS, Miller JA, Pierratos A. Regression of left ventricular hypertrophy after conversion to nocturnal hemodialysis. Kidney Int. 2002;61:2235-2239.
- Chan CT, Harvey PT, Picton P, et al. Short-term blood pressure, noradrenergic, and vascular effects of nocturnal home hemodialysis. Hypertension. 2003;42:925-31.
- Chan CT, Miller J, Floras J, Pierratos A. Improvement in ejection fraction by nocturnal hemodialysis in end-stage renal failure patients with coexisting heart failure. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2002;17:1518-1521.
- Cruess RL, Cruess SR. Teaching medicine as a profession in the service of healing. Acad Med. 1997;72:941-952.
- Cruess SR, Cruess RL. Professionalism: a contract between medicine and society. CMAJ. 2000;162:668-669.
- Darves B. NEJM Career Center for Physicians. Volunteer work brings both personal and professional rewards. Accessed February 1, 2004.
- Dr. John Snow information. Accessed Feb 27, 2004.
- Emanuel EJ, Emanuel LL. What is accountability in health care? Ann Intern Med. 1996;124:229-239.
- Farmer, P. Pathologies of Power: Health, Human Rights, and the New War on the Poor. Berkeley, Calif.: University of California Press; 2003.
- Fershtman, J. Understanding negligence. Accessed Mar 18, 2004.
- Freidson E. Professional dominance: the social structure of medical care. Chicago: Aldine; 1970.
- Friedman AN, Bostom AG, Selhub J, Levey AS, Rosenberg IH, Pierratos A. Nocturnal versus standard hemodialysis and plasma total homocystein levels. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2001;12:356A.
- Friedman EA. Physicians share experiences on the Medicare ESRD program. American Association of Kidney Patients. Accessed Feb 23, 2004.
- Geiger HJ. Racial and ethnic disparities in diagnosis and treatment: a review of the evidence and a consideration of causes. In: Unequal Treatment: Confronting Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Health Care. Washington DC: Institute of Medicine; 2002.
- Good Samaritan Statute. Accessed Mar 18, 2004.
- Gruen RL, Pearson SD, Brennan TA. Physician-citizens—public roles and professional obligations. JAMA. 2004;291:94-98.
- Hanly PJ, Pierratos A. Improvement of sleep apnea in patients with chronic renal failure who undergo nocturnal hemodialysis. N Engl J Med. 2001;344:102-107.
- Hoy C, Goldstein L, Meola S. Daily nocturnal hemodialysis. Perit Dial Int. 2000;20:S104.
- Hoy CD. Remote monitoring of daily nocturnal hemodialysis. Hemodialysis International. 2001;5:8-12.
- Informed Consent. Ethics in Medicine. Accessed January 15, 2004.
- Institute of Medicine. Insuring America's health: principles and recommendations. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press; 2004. Accessed: March 10, 2004.
- Kidder, T. Mountains Beyond Mountains. Healing the World: The Quest of Dr. Paul Farmer. New York: Random House; 2003.
- Kjellstrand CM, Evans RL, Petersen RJ, Shideman JR, von Hartitzsch B, Buselmeier TJ. The "unphysiology" of dialysis: a major cause of dialysis side effects? Kidney Int Suppl. 1975;7:S30-S34.
- Klarenbach SW, Heidenheim AP, Leitch R, Lindsay RM. Reduced requirement for erythropoietin with quotidian hemodialysis therapy. ASAIO J. 2002:48;57-61.
- Kooistra M, Vos J, Koomans H, Vos P. Daily home hemodialysis in the Netherlands: effects on metabolic control, hemodynamics, and quality of life. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 1998;13:2853-2860.
- Kooistra M, Vos P. Daily home hemodialysis: towards a more physiological treatment of patients with ESRD. Semin Dial. 1999;12:424-430.
- Krause E. Death of the Guilds: Professions, States and the Advance of Capitalism, 1930 to the Present. New Haven: Yale University Press; 1996.
- Krieger N. Theories for social epidemiology in the 21st century: an ecosocial perspective. Int J Epidemiol. 2001;30:668-677.
- Landon BE, Reschovsky J, Blumenthal D. Changes in career satisfaction among primary care and specialist physicians, 1977-2001. JAMA. 2003;289:442-449.
- Leavitt JW. The Healthiest City: Milwaukee and the Politics of Health Reform. Princeton: Princeton University Press; 1982.
- Levitan M. A crisis in black male employment. Unemployment and joblessness in New York City, 2003. Community Service Society. Available at www.cssny.org. Accessed March 1, 2004.
- Lockridge R, Anderson H, Coffey L, et al. Nightly home hemodialysis in Lynchburg, Virginia: economic and logistic considerations. Semin Dial. 1999;12:440-447.
- Lockridge R. Parathyroid disease and calcium-phosphorus product controlled with nightly home hemodialysis (NHHD). Perit Dial Int. 2000;20:S104.
- Magellos H, Silva A, Whitman S. Comparison of health status indicators in Chicago: Are black-white disparities worsening? Amer J Publ Health. January, 2004 (94):116-121.
- McFarlane PA, Pierratos A, Redelmeier DA. Cost savings of home nocturnal versus conventional in-center hemodialysis. Kidney Int. 2002;62:2216-22.
- McPhatter L, Lockridge R, Albert J, et al. Nightly home hemodialysis: improvement in nutrition and quality of life. Adv Renal Replace Ther. 1999;6:358-365.
- Mechanic D. Changing medical organization and the erosion of trust. Milbank Q. 1996;74:171-189.
- Mohr P, Neumann P, Franco S, Marainen J, Lockridge R, Ting G. The quality of life and economic implications of daily dialysis. Policy Anal Brief H Ser. 1999;1:1-4.
- Mohr P, Neumann P, Franco S, Marainen J, Lockridge R, Ting G. The case for daily dialysis: its impact on costs and quality of life. Am J Kidney Dis. 2001;37;777-89.
- Mohr P, Neumann P, Lockridge R, Ting G. The economic implications of daily hemodialysis. Perit Dial Int. 2000;20:S105.
- Mucsi I, Hercz G, Uldall R, Ouwendyk M, Francoeur R, Pierratos A. Control of serum phosphate without any phosphate binders in patients treated with nocturnal hemodialysis. Kidney Int. 1998;53:1399-1404.
- National Center for Research Resources. Comparison of daily nocturnal hemodialysis with daily hemodialysis. Sponsored by National Center for Research Resources. Accessed February 13, 2004.
- O'Sullivan D, McCarthy J, Kumar R, Williams A. Improved biochemical variables, nutrient intake, and hormonal factors in slow nocturnal hemodialysis: a pilot study. Mayo Clin Proc. 1998;73:1035-1045.
- Oleskey C, Fleischman A, Goldman LR, et al. Pesticide testing in humans: ethics and public policy. Environ Health Perspect. 2004.
- Pellegrino ED, Relman A. Professional medical associations: ethical and practical guidelines. JAMA. 1999;282:1954-1956.
- Physician's Working Group for Single-Payer National Health Insurance. Proposal of the physician's working group for single-payer national health insurance. JAMA. 2003:290(6):798-805.
- Physicians for a National Health Program. Available at: http://www.pnhp.org/. Accessed February 11, 2004.
- Pierratos A, Heslegrave RJ, Thornley K, et al. Nocturnal hemodialysis improves daytime cognitive function. J Am Soc Nephrol. 1998;9:180A.
- Pierratos A, Ouwendyk M, Francoeur R, et al. Nocturnal hemodialysis: three year experience. J Am Soc Nephrol. 1998;9:859-868.
- Pierratos A, Thornley K, Ouwendyk M, Francoeur R, Hanly P. Nocturnal hemodialysis improves sleep quality in patients with chronic renal failure. J Am Soc Nephrol. 1997;8:169A.
- Pierratos A. Nocturnal home haemodialysis: an update on a 5-year experience. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 1999;14:2835-2840.
- Raj D, Ouwendyk M, Francoeur R, Pierratos A. Beta-2-Microglobulin kinetics in nocturnal haemodialysis. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2000;15:58-64.
- Rettig R. The social contract and the treatment of permanent kidney failure. JAMA. 1996;275:1123.
- Schlesinger M. A loss of faith: the sources of reduced political legitimacy for the American medical profession. Milbank Q. 2002;80:185-235.
- Scott J. Nearly half of Black men in city are jobless, study finds. New York Times. Saturday, February 28, 2004.
- Sibbald B, Bojke C, Gravelle H. National survey of job satisfaction and retirement intentions among general practitioners in England. BMJ. 2003;326:22-24.
- Singer, NJ. Sutherland Statutory Construction § 61.01, at 77 (4th ed. 1986) quoting Shaw v Railroad Co., 101 U.S. 557, 565, 25 L. Ed. 892, 894, 8 Week. Notes Cas. 221 (1880).
- Starr P. The Social Transformation of American Medicine. New York: Basic Books; 1984.
- Sullivan W. Work and Integrity: The Crisis And Promise Of Professionalism In North America. New York: Harper Collins; 1995.
- Susser M. Should the epidemiologist be a social scientist or a molecular biologist? Int J Epidemiol. 1999; 28:1019-1022.
- Szabo T, Ouwendyk M, Pierratos A. Resolution of soft tissue calcification and improvement of bone density on nocturnal hemodialysis: a case report. Perit Dial Int. 2000;20:S109.
- Tammelleo AD, Can "volunteers" invoke the Good Samaritan rule; Boccasile v Cajun Music Limited, 694 A2d 686–RI 1997. Regan Report on Nursing Law. 1997;38(4);2.
- Ubel PA, Arnold RM. The unbearable rightness of bedside rationing: physician duties in a climate of cost containment. Arch Intern Med. 1995;155:1837-42.
- Ubel PM. Pricing Life: Why It's Time For Health Care Rationing. Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press; 2000.
- US Census Bureau. Health insurance coverage in the United States: 2002. Current population survey. September 2003:1. Accessed February 1, 2004.
- US Renal Data System, USRDS 2003 Annual Data Report: Atlas of End-Stage Renal Disease in the United States. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. Bethesda, MD: National Institutes of Health; 2003. Available at: http://www.usrds.org/atlas.htm. Accessed Feb. 24, 2004.
- Values, Ethics & Rationing In Critical Care (VERICC) Task Force. What is health care rationing? VERICC Web site. Accessed January 17, 2004.
- Velasquez v Jiminez, 172 N.J. 240 (2002).
- Vos P. Quotidian dialysis: intradialytic and interdialytic symptoms. Presented at: The International Dialysis Conference; March 5, 2002; Tampa, Fla.
- Walzer M. Spheres of Justice: A Defense of Pluralism and Equality. New York: Basic Books; 1983:81.
- Williams A, O'Sullivan D, Kumar R, McCarthy J. Improved solute clearance and PCR on slow nocturnal hemodialysis (SNHD). Perit Dial Int. 1998;18 Suppl 1:S-78.
- Wynia MK, Latham SR, Kao AC, Berg JW, Emanuel LL. Medical professionalism in society. N Engl J Med. 1999;341:1612-1616.
The viewpoints expressed on this site are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views and policies of the AMA.
© 2004 American Medical Association. All Rights Reserved.