Virtual Mentor. June 2004, Volume 6, Number 6.
Suggested Reading and Resources
Resources on The Ethics of Quality Care
- Alexander GC, Werner RM, Ubel PA. The costs of denying scarcity. Arch Intern Med. 2004;164:593-596.
- American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists and American College of Endocrinology. The American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists medical guidelines for the management of diabetes mellitus: The AACE system of intensive diabetes self-management—2002 update. Endocrine Practice. 2002;8:40-82.
- American Diabetes Association: Clinical practice recommendations 2002. standards of medical care for patients with diabetes mellitus (Position Statement). Diabetes Care. 2002;25(suppl 1):33-49.
- American Medical Association. AMA Web site. Physician Consortium for Performance Improvement. Physician performance measurement sets. Accessed May 18, 2004.
- American Medical Association. Opinion 10.01 Fundamental Elements of the Patient-Physician Relationship. Code of Medical Ethics. Current Opinions. 2002-2003 Edition. Accessed April 29, 2004.
- American Medical Association. Opinion 10.02 Patient Responsibilities. Code of Medical Ethics. Current Opinions. 2002-2003 Edition. Accessed April 29, 2004.
- Andrews M. Does it pay to manage your own care? New York Times, January 18, 2004:7.
- Andrus CH, Villasenor EG, Kettelle JB, Roth R, Sweeney AM, Matolo NM. "To Err Is Human": uniformly reporting medical errors and near misses, a naive, costly, and misdirected goal. J Am Coll Surg. 2003;196:911-8.
- Anton v San Antonio Community Hosp.,19 Cal 3d 802, 140 Cal Rptr 442, 567 P2d 1162.
- The Aviation Safety Reporting System. Accessed October 2, 2003.
- Berkowitz C. Toward a quality workforce; setting the record straight. Pediatrics. 2003;112:418.
- Berwick DM. A User's Manual for the IOM's "Quality Chasm" Report. Health Aff. 2002; 21:80-90.
- Board on Health Care Services. Institute of Medicine. Patient Safety: Achieving a New Standard for Care. Washington DC: National Academy Press;2004: 247-316.
- Chien-Wen T, Phillips RL, Green LA, Fryer GE, Dovey SM. What physicians need to know about seniors and limited prescription benefits, and why. Am Fam Physician. 2002; 66:212.
- Coleman P, Shellow R. Extending physician's standard of care to non-physician prescribers: the RX for protecting patients. Idaho L. Rev.1998; 35:37.
- Committee on Quality of Health Care in America, Institute of Medicine. To Err Is Human: Building a Safer Health System. Washington DC: National Academy Press; 2000.
- Cooper R. The expanding scope of practice of non-physician clinicians and implications. J Med. Licensure & Discipline. 2003;89:75.
- Cooper RA, Henderson T, Dietrich CL. Roles of nonphysician clinicians as autonomous providers of patient care. JAMA. 1998;280:795-802.
- Coy P. Economic trends: when hospitals get graded, Business Week. April 1, 2002: 6.
- Dailey GE III. Improving oral pharmacologic treatment and management of type 2 diabetes. Manag Care. 2004;13:41-7.
- Druss BG, Marcus SC, Olfson M, Tanielian T, Pincus HA. Trends in care by nonphysician clinicians in the United States. N Engl J Med. 2003;348:130-137.
- Eisenberg JM. Doctors' Decisions and the Cost of MedicalCare. Ann Arbor, Michigan: Health Administration Press; 1986.
- Enthoven AC. Employment-based health insurance is failing: now what? Health Aff. 2003;Suppl:W3:237-49.
- Evans RW. Diagnostic testing for the evaluation of headaches. Neurol Clin. 1996;14:1-26.
- Federation of State Medical Boards. Report of the Special Committee on Physician Profiling. Accessed May 1, 2004.
- Ferguson TB, Jr., Peterson ED, Coombs LP, et al. Use of continuous quality improvement to increase use of process measures in patients undergoing coronary artery bypass graft surgery: A randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 2003; 290:49-56.
- Fisher ES, Welch HG. Avoiding the unintended consequences of more medical care: how might more be worse? JAMA. 1999;281:446-453.
- Forthman MT, Wooster LD, Hill WC, Homa-Lowry JM, DesHarnais SI. Insights into successful change management: empirically supported techniques for improving medical practice patterns. Am J Med Qual. 2003;18:181-189.
- Frishberg BM, Rosenberg JH, Matchar DB, et al for the US Headache Consortium. Evidence-based guidelines in the primary care setting: neuroimaging in patients with nonacute headache. American Academy of Neurology Web site. Accessed May 25, 2004.
- Gabel JR, LoSasso AT, Rice T. Consumer-driven health plans: are they more than talk now? Health Aff. 2002;20:W395-W407.
- Gallagher TH, Waterman AD, Ebers AG, Fraser VJ, Levinson W. Patients' and physicians' attitudes regarding the disclosure of medical errors. JAMA. 2003;289:1001-1007.
- Gilbody S, Whitty P, Grimshaw J, Thomas R. Educational and organizational interventions to improve the management of depression in primary care: a systematic review. JAMA. 2003;289:3145-3151.
- Gould BE, Grey MR, Huntington CG, et al. Improving patient care outcomes by teaching quality improvement to medical students in community-based practices. Acad Med. 2002;77:1011-1018.
- Greenwood MJ. The physician profile database: publishing malpractice information on the internet. J Legal Med. 2000;21:477.
- Grumbach K, Coffman J. Physicians and nonphysician clinicians, complements or competitors. JAMA. 1998;280:825.
- Health Policy Tracking Service. 2004 State Health Care Priorities Survey Report 14. 2003.
- Hibbard JH, Stockard J, Mahoney ER, Tusler M. Development of the Patient Activation Measure (PAM): conceptualizing and measuring activation in patients and consumers. Health Serv Res. August 2004. In Press.
- Hibbard JH, Stockard J, Tusler M. Does publicizing hospital performance stimulate quality improvement efforts? Health Aff. 2003;22:84-94.
- Hibbard JH. Engaging health care consumers to improve the quality of care. Med Care. 2003;41(Supp I):61-70.
- Jacob JA. A consumer-driven future: when patients call the shots. Am Med News Sept 23/30, 2002. Accessed October 2, 2003.
- Jacobi JV. After managed care: gray boxes, tiers and consumerism. St. Louis L J 2003; 47:397-410.
- Jencks SF, Huff ED, Cuerdon T. Change in the quality of care delivered to medicare beneficiaries, 1998-1999 to 2000-2001. JAMA. 2003;289:305-312.
- Johnson NE, Nash DB. Key factors in the implementation of a clinical quality improvement project: successes and challenges. Am J Med Qual. 1993;8(3):118-22.
- Jonsen AR, Siegler M, Winslade W. Clinical Ethics: A Practical Approach to Ethical Decisions in Clinical Medicine. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill Publishers; 2002.
- Kaplan SH, Greenfield S, Ware JE Jr. Assessing the effects of physician-patient interactions on the outcomes of chronic disease. Med Care. 1989;27:S110-S127.
- Kintisch E. FPs join the fight against psychologist prescribing. Family Practice News. February 1, 2003:9.
- Leape L, Berwick D, Bates DW. What practices will most improve safety? Evidence based medicine meets patient safety. JAMA. 2002; 288:501-507.
- Lewin v St. Joseph Hospital of Orange, 82 Cal App 3d at 394, 146 Cal Rptr 892.
- Lichter PR. Confusing licensure with education: medicine's slippery slope. Fed'n Bull.: J Med Licensure & Discipline. 1995;82:16.
- Lipton RB, Scher AI, Kolodner K, Liberman J, Steiner TJ, Stewart WF. Migraine in the United States: epidemiology and patterns of health care use. Neurology. 2002;58:885-894.
- Lorig K. Chronic disease self-management: a model for tertiary prevention. Am Behav Sci.1996;39:676-683.
- Major v Memorial Hospitals Association (1999), 71 Cal App 4th 1380, 84 Cal Rptr 2nd (Westlaw) 510:13.
- Mariner WK. Slouching toward managed care liability: reflections on doctrinal boundaries, paradigm shifts, and incremental reform. J Law Med Ethics. 2001;29:253-277.
- Marshall MN, Shekelle PG, Leatherman S, Brook RH. The public release of performance data: what do we expect to gain? A review of the evidence. JAMA. 2000;283:1866-1874.
- Mateo-Woodburn v Fresno Community Hospital & Medical Center, 221 Cal App 3d at p. 1185, 270 Cal Rptr 894.
- McGlynn EA, Asch SM, Adams J, et al. The quality of health care delivered to adults in the United States. N Engl J Med. 2003;348:2635-45.
- McGlynn EA, Kerr EA, Adams J, Keesey J, Asch SM. Quality of health care for women. a demonstration of the quality assessment tools system. 2003. Med Care. 41:616-625.
- Migraine. In: The International Classification Of Headache Disorders: 2nd Edition. Cephalalgia. 2004;24 Suppl 1:9-160.
- Molitch ME, Fujimoto W, Hamman RF, Knowler WC for the Diabetes Prevention Program Research Group. The diabetes prevention program and its global implications. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2003;14:S103-7.
- Morrissey J. Massachusetts to publish doc profile data. Modern Healthcare. Aug. 5 1996:6.
- Nash DB. Evaluating the competence of physicians in practice: from peer review to performance assessment. Acad Med. 1993;68:S19-22.
- Nash DB. Improving the doctor-manager relationship. Doctors and managers: mind the gap. BMJ. 2003; 326(7390):652-3.
- Obel J. Uncalculated risks; medical outcome data, if misused, can deprive patients of the care they need. Washington Post. January 14, 2003: F01.
- Palmisano DJ. Patient safety legislation—an urgent call to action. Am Med News. May 17, 2004. Accessed May 20, 2004.
- Performance Measurement Coordinating Council. Desirable attributes of performance measures. a consensus document from the AMA, JCAHO, and NCQA. 1999.
- Pollit B. Fool's gold: psychologists using disingenuous reasoning to mislead legislatures into granting psychologist prescriptive authority. Amer J Law Med. 2003;29:489.
- Quill TE, Brody H. Physician recommendations and patient autonomy: finding a balance between physician power and patient choice. Ann Intern Med. 1996;125:763-769.
- Redding v St. Francis Medical Center, 208 Cal App 3d 103‑105, 255 Cal Rptr 806.
- Samuel TW, Raleigh SG, Hower JM, Schwartz RW. The next stage in the health care economy: aligning the interests of patients, providers, and third-party payers through consumer-driven health care plans. Am J Surg. 2003;186:117-24.
- Setness PA. When privacy and the public good collide. Does the collection of health data for research harm individual patients? Postgraduate Med. May 1, 2003:15.
- Silberstein SD, for the US Headache Consortium. Practice Parameter: Evidence-based guidelines for migraine headache (an evidence-based review). Accessed May 25, 2004.
- Sobri M, Lamont AC, Alias NA, Win MN. Red flags in patients presenting with headache: clinical indications for neuroimaging. Br J Radiol. 2003;76:532-535.
- Strumsky v San Diego County Employees Retirement Assn. 11 Cal 3d 28 (1974), at 35,fn.2, 112 Cal Rptr 805, 520 P2d 29.
- Teutsch C. Patient-doctor communication. Med Clin N Am. 2003;87:1115-1145
- Tseng CW, Brook RH, Keeler E, Mangione CM. Impact of an annual dollar limit or "cap" on prescription drug benefits for Medicare patients. JAMA. 2003;290:222-227.
- Twedt S. How the tables turn on doctors. Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. October 26. 2003:A1.
- Utilization Rates of Ophthalmology Versus Optometry. Accessed May 14, 2004.
- Von Korff M, Moore JE, Lorig K, et al. A randomized trial of a lay person-led self-management group intervention for back pain patients in primary care. Spine.1998;23:2608-2615.
- Wenner D. Heart surgery statistics reported; hospitals post mortality rates. Patriot News. March 10, 2004:D01.
- Woolf SH. Patient safety is not enough: targeting quality improvements to optimize the health of the population. Ann Intern Med. 2004;140:33.
The viewpoints expressed on this site are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views and policies of the AMA.
© 2004 American Medical Association. All Rights Reserved.