The AMA Journal of Ethics invites unpublished, original art that explores ethics in health care.
Representations of persons in all works except first-person memoirs must be anonymized and de-identified.
Each submission must include the following:
- Cover page including the following:
- Artists’ names, addresses, telephone numbers, email addresses.
- 2- to 3-sentence biosketch of no more than 150 words for each artist.
- Title and year of each work submitted in each image file.
- Summary description of no more than 150 words that clarifies each work’s expression of and representation of ethically relevant themes.
- Complete list of media, including artificial intelligence applications, used to create the work.
- An 1800 x 900 pixel cropped version of each work, to be used as a thumbnail.
- Images must be accompanied by narrative descriptions of no more than 250 words, to be used as alt text, to expand accessibility.
Artists retain copyright of submitted works and must grant permission by signature for the AMA Journal of Ethics to publish and use them without restriction. The journal does not pay contributors.
All contributions must be submitted in English to the journal’s online content management system; postal and email submissions will not be accepted. Submit here.
Image files must be labeled as follows: image files according to this format: Last-name First-name_#. The number (#) should be 1, 2, or 3.
Submit any of the following in jpg format no larger than 400 MB:
- Two-dimensional art [eg, illustrations, drawings (eg, figure, architectural), paintings, prints, photographs], no more than 3 images.
- Three-dimensional art (eg, sculpture, ceramics, fiber), no more than 3 photographs.
- Graphic narratives (eg, comics, cartoons), no more than 20 panels. Preference for vertical, scroll-friendly designs. Submit as a single PDF.
- Or similar work.
Images must be accompanied by narrative descriptions of no more than 250 words, to be used as alt text, to expand accessibility.
Video and Sound Files
Submit film, animation, or sound works as mov, wmv, mpg, mpeg, mp4, or avi formats no more than 10 MB, between 10 and 180 seconds in duration, with minimum dimensions of 320 pixels wide by 240 pixels deep.
Content must be viewable in QuickTime or Windows.
Multiple video files should be numbered in the order in which artists intend them to be viewed.